Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. They went out from us, but they were not of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. I John 2:18-19
While the mission of Jesus is to seek and to save those who were lost, Satan’s greatest objective is to prevent this from happening. One tactic that he often uses is deceit, particularly about who Jesus is. If he can cause confusion about the identity of Jesus, he can cause people to doubt that Jesus is the Savior of the world.
The spirit of antichrist is very present in the world today. There are many who deny either the existence of or the truth about Jesus Christ. John took steps to both defend the truth of Jesus, and to refute the false teachings of the Gnostics who were plaguing the Ephesian church. There are basically six doctrines about Christ that are consistently attacked by the spirit of antichrist.
- The Reality of Christ–they deny His humanity, deity, and virgin birth.
- The Righteousness of Christ–some insinuate that Jesus was sinful.
- The Relevance of Christ–some try to confine His relevance to one era of history.
- The Redemption of Christ–some deny the sufficiency of His atonement by adding works to grace for salvation.
- The Resurrection of Christ–many would deny the fact of the resurrection which is the keystone of the doctrines of Christ.
- The Return of Christ–by denying His return, they ultimately deny His lordship.
These antichrists may often seek to be identified with believers, but they are not the same. Christians should use great care and exercise discernment concerning the usage of the “Christian” label. Obviously, not everyone who calls themselves Christian is actually a believer. This does not mean that we are to attempt to judge what is in a persons heart, but by evaluating their teachings, we can certainly know whether or not they know the truth.
Tomorrow we will look at the Antidote for Antichrists. Until then, God bless.